The Baby Signs® Complete Starter Kit has everything you will need to get started on your baby sign language adventure! As a certified independent Baby Signs® instructor I can assure you that this kit is fabulous. It contains everything that you will need to learn and teach your baby to sign.
Where to Buy: Amazon.com
If you are reading this review then I assume it is safe to say that you have decided to give signing with your baby a try. If you are still unsure and want more information about the benefits of baby sign language and how to get started teaching your baby to sign, then check out these two articles:
- Baby Sign Language Basics – What you need to know!
- Teach Your Baby Sign Language: It’s Easier Than You Think!
There are many different programs, materials and classes available that will help you with baby sign language. As I am certified with the Baby Signs® program and am very familiar with the Baby Signs® Complete Starter Kit, I will only be discussing this particular product.
When I decided to become a baby sign language instructor I reviewed many certification programs. I wanted something that wasn’t strictly ASL (American Sign Language) based and allowed for flexibility. I also wanted a program that didn’t go to over board on the number of signs to be taught. For me, getting a child to talk is the number one goal. I was drawn to the theme based classes offered by Baby Signs® as they are very similar to how I used to run preschool speech and language groups. Each week is a different theme based on early vocabulary. Songs and objects representing each targeted word are incorporated into the session.
Sorry for that last tangent, but I felt it appropriate to share how I came about choosing this particular program. Now back to my thoughts on the Complete Starter Kit!
A Look Inside The Baby Signs® Complete Starter Kit
- Parent Guide – this illustrated soft cover book (80 pages) is a step by step guide to get you started on your baby signing journey.
- Parent DVD – this DVD discusses the Baby Signs® program and the many benefits to signing with your baby. The DVD also includes a video dictionary with 100 common signs that would be most applicable to a baby. Each sign is demonstrated by an adult or child so you can see exactly how to make the sign.
- My Favorite Signs DVD – this DVD is intended to be watched by the baby and caregiver together. The DVD introduces 6 signs through puppets, babies and animation. As many of you know it is now recommended that children under the age of 2 not be exposed to much TV. If you are interested in what Linda Acredolo, Ph.D. (one of the founders of Baby Signs®) has to say regarding this, please see her Television and Babies article.
- Signs at a Glance Flipper – this flip up card consists of 86 signs for quick reference. It has a magnetic back so it can be placed on your fridge for easy access.
- 4 Board Books – each book contains 6 signs. These books are sturdy so go ahead and let your baby “read” one. Each book is based on the following themes: Mealtime, bedtime, bath time, pets.
- comes with everything you need to get started.
- contains items for both parents and baby
- very affordable (price ranges between $20-$40 US depending on where you purchase from. Amazon.com seems to have the best prices)
- The information in this kit is backed by years of research!
- signs are not all ASL (although this is not a con in my opinion. However, 80% of the signs taught are ASL)
- includes a DVD for your baby to watch (see “My Favorite Signs DVD” above for more info – again, not necessarily a con depending how you view it).
As you have probably gathered, I think the Baby Signs® Complete Starter Kit is all you really need to start signing with your baby from the comfort of your home.
If you have purchased this kit I would love to hear your thoughts. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask in the comments below!