Do you know someone that is expecting a little bundle of joy but you have no idea what to get as a “welcome to the world gift”. Look no further. I am going to tell you about some unique baby gift baskets (not all in this post). There are hundreds of thousands of baby gifts out there and it can be quite time consuming trying to figure out which one(s) would be the best. Hopefully I can help you out.
Today I want to share with you the “Welcome to the World” gift set by Discovery Toys. I love Discovery Toys. They are known for their extremely high quality educational toys that will last a very long time. When I was practicing as a Speech-Language Pathologist, the clinic I worked at had a huge selection of Discovery Toys that we used during our therapy sessions.
Before I go into details about this amazing baby gift basket I want to share with you 2 things that make Discovery Toys stand out from the crowd.
Eco-Friendly Product Collection
- The wood used comes from sustainable forests
- Decorated with water-based paints
- Soy-based inks are used for the packing materials
Earth Play Soft Collection
- produced with GOTS certified organic cotton
- free from phthalates, heavy metals, bleach, PVC and formaldehyde
- dyes and oils are biodegradable
Discovery Toys Newborn Baby Gift Baskets
The Welcome to the World set is pretty cool because it is customizable (somewhat). You can choose your gift set based on your budget.
The Welcome To The World Baby Gift Basket has 3 options to choose from:
The price range is $45-$110 US. So, I assume you want to know just what is in this wonderful and unique baby gift basket! I will try and sum it up for you while pointing out the learning benefits of each item.
This package comes with:
- Earth Play Musical Pal – This adorable little lion plays lullaby music when his legs are pulled. Your baby’s hearing will be engaged each time the music is played. With an older baby, he can pull the legs himself, thus learning about cause and effect. The lion can be tied to a stroller, car seat or crib rail.
- Super Yummy – this teether is BPA and Phthalate Free! It has 5 different textured heads to help those sore gums. The super yummy has a food grade light vanilla sent to help awaken your baby’s senses. Accidental movements will soon become purposeful as the baby learns to put the teether towards his mouth or feel the different textures with his other hand.
- Tumbler – The tumbler is part of the eco-friendly collection. Your little one will discover how to track with her eyes while stimulating auditory development (clacking sound can be heard when shaken or rolled – this also encourages cause and effect). This is a great toy to work on “tummy time” as it will motivate the baby to reach for the toy. Your baby’s grasp and coordination will also be strengthened as she learns to reach for and shake the tumbler.
This package comes with what you get in the silver package plus:
- Peace, Little One (CD) – I used music a lot when my children were younger (they still love listening to music today) in order to help soothe or calm them down. We actually had a copy of the Peace, Little One CD that was given to us as a gift. According to studies, neural connections can be made by listening to instrumental music. The more connections that are made early on, the more brain capacity there is for learning. If you know any of the words to the songs, sing or hum along so your little one can hear the soothing sound of your voice as well. Take any opportunity you can to strengthen the parent-child bond.
- Earth Play Puppet – This puppet is meant to be worn on an adults hand to interact with baby, however, it can also be used as a comfort item for your little one. You never know, it could become his favorite “stuffy”. This puppet also makes a soft rattling sound to stimulate your baby’s auditory senses. Puppets are great for interaction between adult and baby. Watch your baby’s face light up in delight when you are the puppeteer. As your baby grows into a toddler, he may want to use the puppet himself. When children use puppets, their imagination is sparked and new vocabulary can be heard!
This package come with everything in the Gold and Silver Packages plus:
- Rockin’ Roller – I love the rockin’ roller because it is actually 2 toys in 1. The ball that is inside the roller can be pulled out and put back in again. Once your baby is a bit older, she will figure out how to do this on her own, once again teaching cause and effect! You may wonder what cause and effect has to do with language. My answer is a lot. As children get older they need to learn that their words (cause) mean something (effect). So if they say something not so nice to a friend the effect of those words will be a friend with hurt feelings. Ok, sorry for that tangent, back to the rockin’ roller. This toy has many different textures and makes a few different sounds, working both on the sense of touch and hearing. You can roll the toy back and forth with your baby once he is sitting up. Rolling a ball or the entire roller is great to target early vocabulary (ball) as well as turn taking skills!
- Pengu – This little wooden penguin is so adorable. The rings or clacking discs, are connected by an elastic cord so your baby can pull them apart and watch them go back together again. And you don’t have to worry about losing pieces. The sound of the clacking discs stimulates hearing as well as teaches about cause and effect. Once your baby is a bit older you can point out his eyes and beak (mouth). And then, ask your little one “where are Pengu’s eyes/mouth?” and see if she will point to them (don’t worry if this doesn’t happen right away, for some kids they won’t do this until after their first birthday – but there is no harm in pointing out these details).
- Discovery Toys Tote
I can guarantee you that this will be the best $45-$110 you have ever spent on a baby gift!